Brain Cell Support Plus
Brain Cell Support™ is an advanced, front-line formula designed to support optimal brain health and mood. In addition to Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC), Brain Cell Support contains Cognizin®, a proprietary form of citicoline, (also known as cytidine diphosphate-choline), a potent brain-health nutrient that’s been clinically shown to support mental energy, focus, attention and recall.* Brain Cell Support also contains DMAE, Phosphatidylserine, and two well-supported brain-supporting botanicals – Ginkgo Biloba and Gotu Kola – to aid in supporting the healthy neurotransmitter production and elevating mood.*
Citicoline is often called a “brain nutrient” because it increases levels of several important neurotransmitters including acetylcholine, dopamine and noradrenaline. It also helps maintain the integrity of neuronal cell membranes – a function also performed by the phosphatidylserine in this formula. Citicoline and acetyl L-carnitine promote increased energy production in the brain, specifically in the frontal cortex. Supplementation with Citicoline has been shown to promote memory, attention, and behavior in mentally healthy older adults.
The added ingredient DMAE crosses the blood brain barrier, is a precursor to choline, and may also increase levels of the memory neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Studies with DMAE have demonstrated improvements in mood and behavior in older adults. DMAE, acetyl L-carnitine, and gotu kola may all have a mild stimulatory effect in the brain, enhancing focus and concentration. It is recommended that Brain Cell Support be taken in the morning and/or at mid-day.*
Citicoline, also known as Cytidine 5′-diphosphocholine and CDPcholine, is found naturally in the body and has been shown to be harmless in the clinical pathology of actual subjects. Citicoline, a dietary supplement ingredient, is a precursor of phosphatidylcholine, a type of phospholipid that is a component of cell membranes. When the body absorbs Citicoline, it is broken down into uridine and choline. Citicoline reforms in the brain and is used as raw material for phosphatidylcholine synthesis.
It is believed that Citicoline stabilizes the membranes of neuronal cells through the metabolic pathway and inhibits the formation of free fatty acids, substances exhibiting cytotoxicity. Citicoline is also converted to acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter.
Cognizin® citicoline has been shown in scientific studies to help support brain health and function:
• When given as a supplement to groups of elderly people, citicoline produced measurable improvements in memory, attention, behavior and reaction time.(1) The studies also showed that citicoline supplementation helped these people cooperate, relate to each other better, and maintain their independence.
• Promoting normal circulation is important not only for cardiovascular health but also for the health of the brain. Studies suggest that citicoline helps promote a healthy outlook and improves attention and behavior in elderly people.(2)
• Citicoline helps support mental agility in healthy older people. In a study of older adults who did not have cognitive impairment but who complained of forgetfulness, citicoline supplementation improved short-term memory(3) and verbal memory.(4)
• Citicoline is not just for the elderly. Even middle-aged adults have shown benefits as measured by sophisticated brain imaging techniques. A study using this new technology showed that in healthy middle-aged adults, six weeks of supplementation with Cognizin® citicoline help increase energy and electrical activity in the frontal lobe of the brain, the seat of higher thought, decision-making and focus.(5)
Research indicates Citicoline has a targeted action for increasing brain phospholipid synthesis. Citicoline is absorbed as a form of its hydrolyzed products, uridine and choline. Within the brain, neuronal cells convert uridine into cytidine, which reacts with choline to produce Citicoline. Citicoline then moves into the metabolic pathway of phosphatidylcholine production in the brain.
Citicoline has been used extensively for the promotion of optimal neural and cognitive function. Numerous scientific studies have shown that Citicoline may be an effective alternative to phosphatidylcholine and has a measurable effect on memory for healthy individuals as well improving mild memory problems associated with aging. Citicoline is frequently used as a pharmaceutical drug in many European countries and Japan for cognitive impairment and brain metabolism activations, especially when the clinical picture is predominantly one of cerebrovascular disease.
1. Secades JJ, Lorenzo JL. Meth Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 2006;27(Suppl B):1-56.
2. Fiorvanti M, Yanagi M. In: The Cochrane Library, Oxford, England. 2006;Issue 4.
3. Alvarez XA et al. Meth Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 1997;19(3):201-10
4. Spiers PA et al. Arch Neurol. 1996;53:441-48.
5. Silveri MM et al. NMR Biomed. 2008; www.interscience.wiley.com DOI:10.1002/nbm.1281. 6Conant R, Schauss AG. Alt Med Rev. 2004;9:1, 17-31.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.